Tuesday 5 March 2024

Buying New Speakers

 Soon I shall have to buy new speakers as my 35year old Transmission transducers are beginning to fade away . One of the speakers is in the process of slowly disintegrating, as the rubber is stating to peel away. I can't notice any deterioration in sound quality but soon the inevitable will happen. When I get my new speakers I am not expecting to hear much improvement in sound quality no matter how much I pay, unless I get something really cheap. One thing I won't be making any judgement for a new transducer on the opinions of hysterical HIFI magazine and Forum writers. Most of what they say is tosh and often it makes me laugh. I shall stick with renowned manufacturers. I shall also audit the speakers myself and if they do not meet my expectations then the speakers will go back to the retailer. I am not interested in reading about the pace, fast or slow of a HIFI product, it won't be sited on a running track or whether the speaker veils the music whatever that means. I am not interested in subjective opinions and marketing hyperbole. I couldn't careless whether or not a speaker can reproduce frequencies above the generally accepted sound limit of about 20 KHZ, which only the young can hear. Sounds, above 20KHZ,  which  my very young    ears could once hear were uncomfortably shrill and not at all musical.

I am not prepared to spend thousands of pounds on speakers that hardly perform better than than transducers that cost much less. The major manufacturers cracked the problem of producing acceptable sound for acceptable cost a long time ago in the 90's

Of course, you can spend a fortune on a pair of speakers from an independent manufacture which will sound glorious, and good luck to if you want the pride of ownership of a wonderful product. Sound engineers also deserve their jobs when the push the boundaries to find improvements for us all. I have a second sound system which uses much more modern speakers; they do sound a little better than my 35 year old transmission lines, but I will regret having to make changes.



No comments:

Post a Comment