Sunday 23 June 2024

Audio Technica ATLP120 USB turntable

 In 2017 I bought the ATLP120USB turntable to play my old 45 rpm singles and to convert some old records, now deleted, to digital files for archiving. I was rather pleased with its performance. After some time I discovered that the turntable was rather good especially as I found a 180 gm remastered vinyl record of the " Turtles  Greatest Hits". I did  some research on the web and discovered  that the turntable was a big talking point on "audiophile" forums. Some people hated the table and traduced it. Others loved it.

The main criticisms were the following:

The built in phono pre-amp was useless and even affected the sound quality when you switched it off. Some enthusiasts ripped out the phono  pre-amp.

The anti-skate spring did not work.

You could hear cogging and other noises from the motor, which intruded into the sound when playing a record.

The wow and flutter, and signal to noise ratio specifications were not up to standard.

The general build quality was not up to the standard of a technics sl12000 mk2.

The plinth is resonant because it is made of ABS plastic and the body of the turntable is a bit hollow so that if you tap the plinth with your knuckle when a record is playing then you hear a thump.

Audio Technica quality control was not good enough.

I got the feeling that if you got a bad example then the criticism was justified. I also got the feeling that many of the complainers had never actually heard a good example of the turntable, and were basing their criticism on prejudice and comparisons of just the technical specifications with much more expensive turntables.

My experience is completely different I must have got a good specimen.

I accept the criticism of the phono pre-amp which I have replaced with an external one. My new pre-amp and existing amplifier and transmission line speakers are very good and make up for déficiences.

My anti-skate spring is weak but it does work but badly. I never use anti- skate as their is so much mumbo jumbo spoken about it. It is next to impossible to find the right setting on any turntable. Anyway, my tone arm, on the ATLP120, has never mis-tracked or skipped and the sound appears from the dead centre of a pair of headphone when playing a mono record. I don't notice any inner groove distortion.  This is a tribute to my particular turntable.

 I can't hear any noise coming from the motor even when I hold my ear up to the platter with cupped hands to amplify any sound. I can't hear any rumbling noises unless I listen with earphones turned well up; then it could just be surface noise for the recording itself.

I don't hear any wow and flutter so the turntable is up to standard. I find that that the signal to noise ratio is as good as most turntables. Audio Technica are probably being conservative with their stated specifications. 

Admittedly the build of the turntable is nowhere near thee quality of a Technics and the plinth does sound a bit hollow. However, who the hell raps the plinth with their knuckle when  record is playing to deliberately to make a thumping sound, are they mad? I have sited my turntable on a heavy metal and tempered glass stand this protects it from any vibration of footfall.

Overall the turntable sounds very good it does not sound as good as a Technics SL1200 Mk2 or a £30,000  rig but it comes very close.

I have compared a a well mastered LP to its well mastered digital equivalent on my set up. It is impossible for an LP to sound better than its well mastered digital equivalent. However, in my opinion, if a CD scores 100 for sound quality then the ATLP120 USB scores 96. A Technics 1200 MK2 probably scores 97. Do I want to spend £30,000 to get to 98 or 99; well no.

The ATLP120 USB cost me £250 in 2017 and represents phenomenal value for money. It now has a more modern and improved brother , which you can exchange if you get a duffer. I find it difficult to justify replacing my ATLP120 USB for cost and  sound quality reasons. It may not last forever but neither will I.


No comments:

Post a Comment